Home > alerts, FYI, internet issues, opinion > Alert: IRS Scams showing again

Alert: IRS Scams showing again

sbwfyiseriousQuickie alert post here:

The IRS / Stimulus scammers are at it again.

Another set of IRS / Stimulus e-mails are starting to float around. The main indicators that this is one of the scam e-mails are the following:


  • The current domain used by the scam is irs.agencygovernment.gov which is not a government domain.
  • They tell you at the bottom the refund can be made to any Visa/Matercard that is connected to your checking and/or savings.
  • When you Google or Yahoo! the domain name they are using, there are no hits on it.

Click Here for a 2008 example of a similar scam.

Update (05/12/09): We noticed many hits to this article, so we wanted to add that the correct web address for the IRS is http://www.irs.gov.


PS – “SWB … Cynicism, Sarcasm, and Safety”

  1. Raul G.
    May 27, 2009 at 3:54 am

    Thank You for the alert I almost fell for it it looks almost true, A-Million-Thanks-to-You
    I received this email:

    Confidential Information‏
    From: Internal Revenue Service (irs@irs.agencygovernment.gov)
    You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
    Sent: Tue 5/12/09 11:34 AM
    1 attachment
    form_paym…html (16.7 KB)

    This is Francis V. from the Refund Operations Department at Internal Revenue Service(United States Department of the Treasury). After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that youare eligible to receive a tax refund of $184.23. Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-9 days in order to process it. A refund can be delayed for a variety of reason. For exemple (invalid records orapplying after the deadline).The good news is that Internal Revenue Service will make this refund directly to yourvisa and/or mastercard linkedto your checking/savings account instead a check or a direct deposit. To access the form for your tax refund, please continue to our secure serverattachment form. Important: Do not use credit and/or american express or discover cards. Only cards thatare linked to your checking/savings account are accepted. Regards, Francis V.Internal Revenue Service – Tax Refund Specialist

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: